One of Minot’s earliest business establishments was a small grocery store, owned and operated by Carl Aurland. The store began operation in 1886. Besides running the grocery store Aurland also bought and sold buffalo bones, a thriving business in the early days on Minot. By night he studied law in the backroom of his store and by 1890 he was admitted to the North Dakota Bar Association. For many years he operated a law office in Minot as well as managing farm and other interests in and around the town. He and his wife Josie were married in 1891 and made their first home on the 100 block of 4th Avenue SE. Eventually they built a large house at 120 4th Avenue SE (now known as Burdick Expressway). The house would have been in the area of M&H Gas.They had two daughters, one of whom taught in the Minot School System for close to 20 years.
Post a Comment