1st National Bank -- 1st National Bank was originally known as the Great Northern Bank when it was established in 1897. The building was constructed of brick made in a brickyard just west of Minot. This building stood until it was demolished in 1929 to make room for the new building. The bank was name the Great Northern Bank in honor of Jim Hill who was a close friend of Joseph Roach, one of the founders of the bank. Later the name was changed to the 2nd national Bank and eventually to the 1st national Bank. In 1887 the Bank of Minot was formed and eventually became the 1st National Bank. In the early 1900’s there were two banks chartered under the name of the 1st National Bank. Both of these failed, hence the name 2nd National Bank for a period of time. No affiliation with the failed banks was wanted. In the early days, trees were planted in the boulevard to the south of the bank. They grew to be quite tall before they were cut down due to the paving of the streets.
Great Northern Bank 1895
Thanks! Great finds DaveReplyDelete